The Helen Allison St. Clair Optometry Scholarship was established to honor the memory of long-time Mississippi Optometric Association Executive Director Helen Allison St. Clair. Mrs. St. Clair served the MOA for more than 28 years and had a passion for optometry students and doctors. A graduate of the University of Alabama, she volunteered with the American Red Cross for over 40 years and was awarded the Clara Barton Award. She served on the Board of Directors of the Southern College of Optometry, the International Association of Optometric Executives and the American Society for Association Executives. Her family and friends want her passion and service to optometry to live on in the awarding of annual stipends from the scholarship established in her name at the Mississippi Vision Foundation.
- Applicant must be entering his or her third year at an accredited School of Optometry.
- Applicant must have maintained a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA in optometry school and include a copy of an official transcript with the application.
- Applicant must be planning to practice optometry in Mississippi upon graduation.
- Awardee(s) will be asked to sign a contract for the funds which will require repayment of the funds should the student not practice in Mississippi within three years of graduation.
- Applicant must complete the official application form and meet all deadlines.
- Applicant will be required to have three letters of recommendations submitted to include an Optometric Educator, a School Administrator, and an Optometry Mentor.
- Finalists may be asked to sit through a brief interview, either through an agreed upon technology or in person.
- Other testing or selection procedures may be used by the Mississippi Vision Foundation at its discretion.
The Scholarship will be awarded directly to the Applicant selected. One or more scholarships may be awarded with amounts determined by the dividends and returns on the scholarship fund. The scholarship check will be presented in one payment.
The Helen Allison St. Clair Optometry Scholarship application is due no later than June 30, 2017.